Monday 17 December 2012

Top End Adventure

So I'm back in Darwin after a three day adventure in the top end national parks - Lichfield and Kakadu. We've driven 1260km in the last three days!

I last came up this way six years ago in the dry season. Now it's the pre monsoon season and the whole area looks different. It's so green as the pres monsoon storms have given life to the whole area. The good news is that almost all the waterfalls are still open to visit! Give it another month and many of these will be inaccessible due to the roads being metres underwater - ive come just in time!

It's been a really fabulous three days - its so hot and humid that swimming in the waterfalls is such a refreshing experience! I really like this top end of Australia - its like nowhere else on earth, and while Sydney is one type of Australia, this is still totally Australia in a very different way!

We saw so much wildlife too! Spiders, snakes, crocodiles, so many birds, frill necked lizards, Cain toads, donkeys, brumbies(wild horses), buffalo, wallaroos, wallabys, loads of fish in the waterfalls and a highlight for me a troop of baby feral pigs that came straight across the path we were walking on.

First day we visited the huge termite mounds in Lichfield national park, the went to the Florence falls and buly rock holes for swims. Really cold water, and so refreshing. We stopped at a billabong for a wildlife cruise - birds and crocs the highlight here - and caught in a massive rainstorm! We stayed the night at a bush camp, and it was so hot and humid I didn't sleep very much. We ate kangaroo and buffalo for dinner!

Day two was spent in kakadu national park. Firstly we admired the aboriginal  rock paintings at ubirr - different to the ones at nourangie which I had seen before - and tried to avoid the millions of flies (first time I've had trouble with them on my whole trip so not bad!) then it was off to maguk waterfall for a walk and swim. Tonight I paid 10 dollars to upgrade to an at conditioned cabin. I wanted my sleep and I wasn't the only one to upgrade!!

Day three we went to an amazing waterfall at the south of the park. It is Quite inaccessible but at the top there is an infinity pool with amazing views that look out across the national park. Really special place. We also swam at the bottom of the waterfall in the plunge pool - the water coming off the waterfall was delightfully cold!!

A great trip and fantastic to see somewhere I have seen before but looking quite different. Hopefully not my last trip to this amazing part of the world.

Thanks to Nora on my tour for taking some great pictures with her underwater camera I will post these pictures separately when i can!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment